Pages

9.09.2010

My Doctor Dad.


My dad is the coolest, awesomest dad in the universe.

I'm sure you all have cool and awesome dads too, but my dad is surely on the list of Top 5 Greatest Dads in the world (and that's just according to me, of course).

His greatest dream was to become a doctor. But that was not what God had planned for him.

With his family's motivation, he became a naval architect and created the second largest ship in the country in the late 70s. He was driven, energized, extremely passionate and creative. His co-workers thought he was great. When he felt strongly about something, he strived to inform others in hopes they might open their minds to new learnings and possibilities. He has been the driving force behind my academic and professional achievements. He was funny, silly and loved to laugh. Unlike a lot of the dads that I've met in my teens, my dad never set any hard rules and allowed me to be myself. From clothes to crushes, I could tell my dad absolutely anything. My sister and I thought he was the coolest.

Not everyone thought he was cool though. People around us always looked down on my dad for not being the stereotypical working father clad in corporate suits and leather shoes. He was criticized for not being able to buy our family expensive cars, mansions or luxury vacations. He was a simple man who focused on the simple things in life that he deemed were more important.

We didn't always have a straight A relationship. There were times that I thought his awesomeness meter would drop. I was in a relationship that was obviously wrong for me, and my dad got so angry that he threw a Bible in my direction and said that I should be reading it. I was hurt, vengeful and pained. I didn't listen. I didn't honor him when I should have. Worse, I didn't honor God.

My dad never became the doctor he dreamed of, and in this life, he probably never will be. But to me, he has healed more scars than I ever discovered and will ever remember. He has helped me rise from several falls in my education, my career and in my personal relationships. He has prescribed bits and pieces of wisdom, straight from ailments of his own. He nurtured me, took away the bruises and the emotional band-aids to help nurse me back to health. He was the one who helped me understand that no matter how hurt you are, the wounds will always heal if you have faith.

I don't know about your relationship with your dad. You probably also had a fantastic time with him and he continues to be your support system. You may also be hurting from a dad you've never met or a dad you've recently lost. Whatever the case may be, don't forget that no matter how happy or pained our dads have made us feel, we all share a greater Dad --- the Father who cares for us, longs for us, and gave up his Son to die on the cross for us.

And no matter how old I get, I will forever be a child in awe. 


"Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"   -Luke 11:11-13