Pages

9.12.2010

First.

I don't really know why I'm writing this blog.

To write about something means you have to be an expert on it. I am definitely no theologian or expert on the Bible; in fact, I have only started to read albeit erratically about a month ago. If you are new to reading this and expecting hardcore lessons on postmodern evangelism, then you might need to look somewhere else. It all just started with an inspiration, from Christians who, like me, are not genius or perfect but aim to share to at least one person.


Notice that not a lot of people are comfortable with their own issues? Take Facebook, for example. We are quick to share birthdays and blessings, new exciting jobs and old happy memories. But we talk less about our iniquities because we're afraid of what others would say about who we are. We're afraid that people will judge us for our past and think less of us.

It's get trickier when you're a Christian.

My friends who aren't Christian say that Christians are too cheerful, too willing, or just downright weird. Admittedly, sometimes we feel that we do God a disservice when we let our skeletons out of the closet. When we tell other friends that we're upset, afraid, worried, frustrated or angry, we sometimes think that we let other people believe that God is a lesser God because of it.

I realized that it works the opposite way. No matter how much we try, we will always fall short. And in those upsetting, worrying, frustrating and angriest of times, it is when God is right in charge. When we tell others about the ugly parts of our life, we share the gift of hope to them, that they may overcome their own stumbles. When we become real about our struggles, we share the gift of helping each other through the challenges. And in the midst of all that, God's love rings the loudest.

I'm not saying I can air out my dirty laundry as soon as someone asks how I am in the mall. As a believer, I know that I will never be perfect, but God loves me just the same. I'm not telling others that I live a awesome, clean and perfect life. I'm just telling them that I was lost, but God found and forgave me.
 
My favorite author JA calls it the gift of second:
'It’s so much harder to be first. No one knows what’s off limits yet and you’re setting the boundaries with your words. You’re throwing yourself on the honesty grenade and taking whatever fall out that comes with it. Going second is so much easier. And the ease only grows exponentially as people continue to share. But it has to be started somewhere. Someone has to go first and I think it has to be us.'

Here's my blog.

I'll go first.